Got notice that I was approved last Thursday. Friday received notification in the mail, and set up a phone interview for Family Benefits for my teenage son.
So, Monday rolls around, and SS calls me regarding the Family Benefits. The lady said she was phoning on behalf of my sons father. WTH?? Seriously? Then she went oops, it is for my sons mother....whew. So then she asks questions, and determines that he qualifies for Family Benefits. Then second shocker out of the ladies mouth - the lawyer gets $6000. I quickly said sorry, I was under the impression this entire time that it was 25% or $6000, the lesser of the two. She then said oh yeah, that is right. I'm hoping she normally does not do these interviews :)
Make an in person appointment with my case worker at SS for Tuesday. My dad agrees to drive me there (it is in another town, and dad driving means I do not spend 2 hours each way on a bus). I get there, and meet with the lady, and we go over all the stuff...no I am not a felon on parole or probation. No I am not running from the law. No, no outstanding felony warrants, etc. She then tells me the amounts I am getting, and silly me does not write them down. Thankfully she called this morning, and I was able to ask her, and it turns out more than what she had said yesterday (I knew roughly aruond where it was, but not the exact amount).
So I sit here today, Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. My son and I, between us, with all our coins and what I have in the bank, have about 10 dollars. The cats are on their last bit of dry cat food, and I probably will not get child support until middle of next week because of Thanksgiving. For dinner tomorrow, we are having spaghetti. No turkey or ham meal for us. But, we are inside, we have heat, satellite tv, and internet (thank you to all 3 companies for agreeing to not turn off anything until middle of next month, by which time I should have the backpay from SSDI to pay them).
It is strange... My vision has sucked for a long time. Yet my disability onset date was January 2011. So by government standards, I have been disabled this whole year. The backpay is enough to pay the back rent I owe (and Decembers), as well as the power, phone and satellite, catching them all up current (for the first time in over a year). Nothing huge, not like others get, but I am ok with this truth be told. Sure, I wish they found me disabled starting in 2009, but I am thankful I didn't have to go to the ALJ stage, which takes over a year easily. But it is still strange.... nothing changed between today and a week ago, except that I now have some form of financial security in receiving a monthly benefit amount. But it feels...different. My vision hasn't gotten worse (that I am aware of) in the past week. But it just seems strange to sit here.... I feel like I should be working. I think it is more that I want to work. I hate not being able to see numbers clearly anymore, or words/letters. I hate that if I get mail, I have to coax my printer into scanning it (it's a hit or miss, printer doesn't like computer or vice versa) so I can read it larger. I've been doing this for longer than a year. But it still feels odd.... maybe it is relief, and I am not used to that feeling? Time will tell....
That being said, I am looking forward to Christmas this year for the first time in a few years. I will actually have the tree up (we have not put one up for 2 years), and there will be actual presents under there. I can't wait :) And to be able to have my dad, my brother, and his 3 kids come over, and give them each presents? That will be fun :) I love, absolutely love, giving presents to my family, and have hated the past 2 years of not being able to give many at all, except 1 or 2 to my son... so this year, truly a blessed year... as long as next Friday I beat the Unlawful Detainer that is :) I should though, have the proof that the rent amount the landlord demanded was not correct (he was asking for more than I owed)... and with some of the backpay coming next Friday, I will be able to pay most of what I owe :)
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment